Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Stop The Madness

Is this a great country or what?

One of the things that drive me crazy is that we live in a very reactionary country. Maybe reactionary is the wrong word. I think over-reactionary probably describes us a little better. If you do not think that we tend to over react to every thing that happens in this country, let me give you a great example. I used to fly about 75,000 miles a year inside the continental US. After the 911 tragedy, the security changed in airports. I can tell you that a modicum of security changes was definitely in order. However, when they started to confiscate my finger nail file at the security check points, I thought we had gone too far. What were they afraid of, I was going to give a stewardess a pedicure? Over Reaction

Now you are probably wondering what got me on this tirade. Well, let me tell you. On the way home, I was changing the radio station looking to find something interesting to hear, when I ran across one of the many right wing reactionary republican radio talk shows that seem to flood the airwaves. This one happened to be the famed Savage Nation show. Now I normally try to avoid this show, because the few times I have listened to it, I have felt the urge to get on a plane, find Michael Savage, and my foot in his ass. And, after the airport security confiscated my pedicure kit, I can assure this would be painful for him.

Today I listened to his show for a few minutes as he lambasted the FCC for not holding the satellite radio industry to the same standards that they do the terrestrial radio industry (that is your normal car radio for you right wingers). He does not like the fact that satellite radio has some programs that he finds offensive and that would not be able to be aired on regular radio. When a few callers voiced the opinion that satellite was a service you pay for so the FCC should not regulate it as they do normal radio, he seriously over reacted. Callers also likened the situation to that of watching regular TV versus HBO. Things are not as regulated on HBO as on NBC let’s say. Mr. Savage then decided to spew out some of his right wing idealism. Stating that if we were willing to let anything on TV that someone was will to pay to watch, then would we be willing to allow snuff films on TV. IN 20 years we will have snuff films on TV. At that point anyone who called got the “so you would allow snuff films on TV?” Like that has anything to do with the point. Way to over sensationalize your idea to the point that no sane person could disagree with you.

Sensationalism, is that the way you justify your point of view. That is pretty much how we got into this war…

I do not feel I need to, but let me address the snuff film question first. Does Mr. Savage believe that the moral judgment of this country is so low that in 20 years we would think it would be OK to watch “little girls from Thailand” in snuff films. I am not even going to repeat the other things he said about these snuff films. I tend to believe that the majority of us Americans would see that snuff films are bad…

If republicans are suppose to be for less government, then why are they for more government regulation. The republicans seem to want to regulate more and more what we see, hear or play. If you are truly for a smaller government, then please stay out of my business and let me listen to the music I want. If you really want to regulate something, then try Reality TV. Not that there is anything morally repugnant with reality TV, it just sucks.

As for the original question, now that I have disposed of his sensationalism, here is but one reason why the FCC should mind its own business. The reason that the FCC can regulate what is on radio is the government owns the airwaves. The government gave the radio and TV broadcasters these airwaves years ago for public broadcasts. This gives them the right to regulate what goes on these airwaves. The satellite industry is privately owned. They put up their satellites. They have the right to broadcast what ever they want. I assume they have no plans to start broadcasting snuff films, but if they do, you can be sure I will be the first one to file a suit to shut them down.

Now, I have never really considered my self a democrat or a republican. I think everyone is a little of both. I have always believed there are very few absolutes in life. And that if you are a zealot about any one thing, then chances are you aren’t listening to other peoples opinions. That means that you are missing out on a lot of good information. Why does it seem that the only idiots they give a microphone to are the ones that are so far to the right or the left that they do not represent any significant portion of the masses. Please stop listening to these idiots. If you agree with them, please do not reproduce. They are a lot of things to learn in this world if you will just listen.